On the note of fun and exciting, Nika and I went white water rafting on the Nile river today! It's so crazy to remember learning about the Nile in 4th grade and then to have rafted down it today and seen the locals going about daily life along the edge of the river. Some of the rapids were class 5 and we flipped a few times; it was intense and fun, although not quite the adrenaline rush I expected. It began raining hard and to get back to the bus we walked barefoot in the slippery mud through some villages while getting drenched. It was really fun :) I was also planning to go bungee jumping and was so bummed to find out it wasn't possible today because of so many people rafting and the weather. Oh well, another time I guess.
April 11, 2009
I don't even know where to begin... lets see, last week I went to check out one of the orphanages nearby that I was looking at before I planned to go to one down near the border of Tanzania. The orphanage I decided on is called St. Paul KAASO and it's in a district heavily affected by HIV/AIDS. Being accepted to St. Paul is such an answer to prayer and I can't wait to begin working there on Tuesday. Anyways, I was walking to the taxi park to get a matatu to Another Hope orphanage and wasn't quite sure how to get there. The taxi park is absolutely filled with people, taxis, and bodas; it's soo busy and overwhelming, so I asked this girl who looked about my age where to go and she walked with me all the way there. She was soo sweet and literally took my hand and walked me to my taxi. The next day I was walking trying to find my way to a cafe and stopped by a church nearby to see the end of the service. There I met Olivia, a local who was in town for a job interview and had just gotten out of the church service. We started talking and then she joined me for lunch. It was really fun and she was so sweet and appreciative of my friendship, as I was to her. To have such interesting and different encounters with amazingly kind people has been... fun and exciting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment