March 5, 2009

he MAKES me lie down in green pastures.

K it's been awhile so I'll try to give an update on all I've been up to. Two weekends ago we went to Mount Mulanje, the tallest mountain in Central Africa. It was absolutely beautiful, I loved it. Last Friday at MCM was great, I enjoyed seeing how the feeding works and meeting the kids. I had just met them, hadn't even done anything for them yet and they kept telling me how thankful they were to have me there. It was really strange with the language barrier, and quite funny when the kids were trying to say colors and numbers in English. The kids would walk a long ways to get there and came wearing dirty, ragged clothes and tiny little children were so hungry they would eat massively huge plates of food. Church has been good, I enjoy the youth group a lot. Its good to make connections with people my age and I love learning and growing through what we're studying. Last Saturday I got to play some football barefoot in the mud with the youth group, it was great. Yesterday was a holiday so we went up to Zomba, a mountain nearby, for a picnic. I can walk home from the school now so have enjoyed all I see and experience through that. Today I recorded part of a play for the radio broadcast Wing of Hope with Byanna, it was so funny how excited they were to have my American accent. Apparently I will be doing another play soon, I find it so funny I'm on the radio. I will go with Byanna to a club meeting at the high school next week and also to his soccer practice in the village. Here it is not common for girls to play soccer, so it will be interesting to play with his team. Working at the schools has been going good. Each school is a very different experience, but I enjoy the challenges both provide. At Phoenix School, I got to teach swimming last week. It was a really different style of teaching swim, but very fun. I have also enjoyed getting to know some of the assistant teachers at the school and the insight on Malawian culture they give. Random fact, today I found out how involved of a process it is to get your license here. To get a drivers license, you must attend driving school for 40 days! Only an hour a day, but still, so strange. And a current event for you, the former Malawian president who is running for office again in May was charged with 86 accounts of corruption, yet the laws might not prevent him from running and winning again. God has been speaking to me so clearly in different ways. Its been great to be challenged and grow through that and now begin to really enjoy serving here. I've been learning a lot through reading some C.S. Lewis as well as growing in general through my time spent in the Word, praying, listening, and praising God. Even as an introvert, having so much alone time has been crazy, but I know God has been working through that. I could use prayer in praise for all God is doing and how he is working and growing me. And that God would really use me in crazy unexpected ways in the live of the people I meet. I have a cell phone so please call at 0112659079351. The cheapest ways to call are from skype or through an online international calling card. It is very expensive for me to call, but I greatly appreciate any calls received, like really, you have no idea. It is like unbelievably exciting to get calls. Hope this finds you all well, email or call and let me know how I can be praying for you or what's going on in your life.

No comments: